Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
June 26, 2024, 05:33:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video and Transcript of speech (Penny Low & Teo Chee Hean) 15 Jul 07  (Read 8928 times)
limweech

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:07:20 AM »

http://www.punggol.sg/gallery/displayimage.php?album=17&pos=0

Advertisement

limweech

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:11:38 AM »

transcripts for speech made by Penny Low

(incomplete, and not accurate. please refer to video for actual speech)

....... this year, much to the delight of Punggol North grassroot leaders, Ambassador   

Belen from the Philippines Embassy has very very kindly also organised a contigent to

participate in our street parade. she was here with us last year, she was very excited

and this year, she's decided to come back again with a contingent, fortunately not

competing, so can we also thank her for her good gesture, and of course we hope the

rest may follow suit next year.

i would like to take this opportunity to share the various efforts that the grassroot

leaders as well as the advisors have been putting in to realise the vision of Punggol

21. Since the announcement of the masterplan in 2003, URA and SLA has also put out land

parcels for F&B, recreation, and sports facilities within Punggol as well as Sengkang.

However, in the last few years, the bidding of the land has not been extremely fierce

for the reason that we went through some economic downturn which was also met with

incidients like SARS in 2003. The uncertain environment affected the demand but going

forward has been the good announcement of a last quarter growth of more than 8%. I

think the demand seems to be coming back up again and I'm glad to say that the Punggol

North Town Development "parcels?" has been also working the ground as well as all the

other agencies to make the Punggol 21 Plan a better one and one that also incorporates

many new ideas and I think we will hear about some of these new developments in the

months to come. The basic needs of Punggol North since 2001 has been much improved. The

transportation system, the amenities, the basic amentities like coffeeshops, schools,

PCFs, kindergartens, and so on, have all been put in place. However, there is still

alot of room for improvement. Lately, I have been going around door to door, to ask, if

our residents would prefer a much relaxed atmosphere as Punggol 21 town seems to boast

of today or a much more intense type of development, with big shopping centres, and

bigger sports stadiums and amenities. and I seem to be receiving pretty mixed signals

from the ground. Some, said that this is a sanctuary where they can retreat into, so

they like it as it is, with some improvements; and I think the good news is, the banks

of Sungei Punggol as well as Sungei Serangoon would be developed into a sort of a

esplanade, like a connected park, where you can then bring your families there, for a

jog, for a evening walk, or even for a picnic. I think these plans are all in place.

The road infrastructure would also be better developed over the years, especially once

the KPE, which is the Kallang Paya Lebar Expressway is completed, and I think, with a

few of these developments, plus some of the new and very innovative ideas that should

be announced in the months to come, this will be an exciting thing, which you will

always call Punggol Town or Punggol 21, My Home, Our Kampong.

but, for us to look to the authorities to build Punggol North, we would only be

building the hardware. What we need to do is to build the software or the heartware, H

-E-A-R-T, heartware of this community, and one good way of doing so, is obviously

through our CC building. I have made some announcements regarding building a new CC,

and I'm glad to say that we have done successfully some fund raising activities and

today, we will be receiving or will be fund raising to the tune of a quarter million

dollars for our CC. Now, is that exciting ? it is still far from the target of 2

million, but the patience, well wishes, would certainly, be able to help us to work

towards there. But as I said, it is not good enough to depend on a small group of

people but if this CC is ours, then we should all come in together, put in the effort,

whether it is to give ideas, or to give a dollar, to contribute to our building of our

CC, which is a community club, and I certainly hope that you would participate in the

building of the CC in one way or another. I believe that the progress would be much

faster from now on.

However, we must also guard against certain lesser issues. for example, lately, we have

been notified about the dengue clusters. Punggol has been relatively free of the dengue

clusters until lately. There is an epidemic situation in Singapore and we are not

spared from it. We love our children, we love our parents, we love our family, and we

love our neighbours. So I hope that you would help us to keep dengue out of Punggol

North, out of Singapore. because this is a war that we have to fight together as a

team, team Singapore and not just depend on the agencies to do so. So, please do the

necessary to ensure that we can prevent dengue from striking and causing misery to our

families.

Last but not least, I would like to also make an announcement. For many of my speeches,

I have spoken about life long learning, that in a world that is always changing and

changing very very quickly, there is a need to continually upgrade ourselves, and very

recently, I have accepted an award from the Yale University as a Yale world fellow.

What this entails, is for me to continue to learn, and also spend some time in Yale

University. With the blessings from our top leaders, especially Minister Teo Chee Hean,

who has very very kindly encouraged me to go on the course and also assured me that

this constituency will also be well looked after by the Pasir Ris - Punggol GRC MPs. I

have accepted the award, and will be departing sometime Mid-August. I will be back

though, at the end of this year. I have spoken long, with my grassroot leaders, and

also seek, should I say, their endorsement, and they have given me their very very

strong support. What I would like to assure everyone, in the midst of that period of

time, this consitutency would be well taken care of, both by our grassroot leaders, as

well as the various advisors from the Pasir Ris - Punggol GRC. On my return, I hope to

be able to serve you better and perhaps, come up with better and more innovative ideas

so that we can all learn and grow together. With that, may I wish everybody a most

happy, joyous Punggol North Racial and Religious Harmony Day. Thank you very much.
ya1012

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »

Wah, sounded like Ms Penny Low has "read & seen" what we've discussed in this forum.... that's quite a piece of good news...I do applause her for hearing us out.... eh...eh.....but we need more action on the ground..thanks! 
We're rather quite a patient lot already, especially for those first batch like us who moved in around end 2001....and not including the waiting time to get this flat since mid 90's.....*can imagine I'm taller than the giraffe?*
limweech

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »

KPE information - http://www.lta.gov.sg/projects/proj_road_kpe.htm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: