Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
September 20, 2024, 01:39:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Dog Not Leash At Playground  (Read 72927 times)
toobeezy

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »

Hi all,
I shall chip in my 2 cents worth here. I am aware if the dogs around the area but the list of which block the "DOMESTIC" dog belongs too is a very weak arguement. You can't possibly complain to AVA about these dogs as you do not have substantial evidence that the dogs are being a nuisence in public other than them being in HDB. Its just going to cause a riot in the entire country. Yes i agree that they should be leashed but for someone to make a report, one should have a solid evidence that he/she was attacked or assualted by the dog.
Lets say there is a fierce looking leashed dog, but do u have evidence that he would bite ? Perhaps he is well trained and obident. Let's be frank, how would you like it if someone walks up to you with a security guard or a policeman tells you to go home just because you looks ugly or inappropriate? Or the fact that your child is misbehaving or causing nuisence in public. Dog or not, they are still a family member.
I mean if the dog is quiet and isnt causing any harm to the residence of the block then why the fuss? If that is the case then I should complain about the neightbours little children who are very noisy too!
Or aunties playing mahjong in the middle of the night? Or ppl screaming cos of football matches..Too much its noise polution!
Or how about the fact that owners of TOY BREED dogs allowing their mutts to pee in lift lobbies or even in the lifts??
If you want to complain, complain all the way. Don't just be judgemental and complain. There is enough hatered in the world and adding to it doesn't help.

Advertisement

da

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »

Are dogs dangerous?

There's estimated 68 millions dogs kept as pets in 2001, in USA.
There is an estimate of 4.7 million dog bites in 1994 in USA.

Overall, 22.8% of bites are to the head and neck region. However, if the victim is below 4, 64.9% of injuries among children aged <4 years were to the head/neck region

Reference  http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5226a1.htm

What are some of the dog breeds involved in fatalities in USA, which are also kept by residents in Punggol?
- German Shepherd
- Alaskan Malamute
- Doberman Pinscher

When dogs owned for years can attack the owner's baby, I must question how safe it is to have big dogs, even leashed, around the neighbourhood.
take a look at the postings made on http://www.babycenter.com/400_how-can-i-handle-my-fears-that-our-dog-is-a-danger-to-our-ch_500395_1001.bc

My husband had a lab mix when we got married 7 years ago, and she was the only "baby" in the house until 8 months ago when our son was born. I had concerns because she was never overly friendly with kids and tended to shy away and duck her head when kids or strangers tried to pet her. She'd never actually bitten anyone, but she'd snapped at several people, and I knew she was not going to be good with the baby, so we took the appropriate steps to prepare her for Peyton's arrival. She never took to him. Last week, Peyton crawled over to the dog and startled her, and the dog snapped at him and bit the top of his head. It wasn't a bad bite and did not require stitches, but it scared us to death, and I now feel like the most unfit mother who ever lived. I had reservations about that dog and I should have acted on them instead of hoping that the dog would get used to the baby. MOTHERS AND MOTHERS TO BE --- IF YOUR DOG IS NOT GOOD WITH KIDS OR HAS EXHIBITED AGGRESSIVE TENDENCIES IN THE PAST, DO NOT ALLOW YOUR BABY TO BE AROUND THE DOG. I don't care if you've had the dog for 5, 10 or 15 years. It is an animal and is by nature unpredictable. If the dog is not good with kids, it never will be. YOU CANNOT CHANGE OR RE-TRAIN THE DOG TO LOVE CHILDREN. Dogs either like kids or they don't, and there's nothing you can do to change them. Sadly, we're having our dog put down next week after the mandatory 10-day quarantine period. She is 10 years old, and I fear she will only get more aggressive as she ages. Our vet confirmed that this was likely. I thank God that the bite my son received was not more serious, and I deeply regret not listening to that little voice inside that told me not to let my baby near the dog. Please take a lesson from our incident, and don't try to "train" a dog to love children. In my opinion, it cannot be done. The dog may tolerate the baby for a while, but it will never love or form an attachment to the child.

posted 3/24/2006 by Peyton's Mom

this is the parent of Jose Diaz, Jennifer Woodjinski. My son was 5 weeks old when he was attacked and killed by our family dog. I want to get a message across to everyone who has a dog and you either have a baby or are about to have one. Chance (the dog who did this) was the sweetest dog ever and so loving. If a stranger came into the house he would run from them instead of barking. He never even snapped at anybody. But he killed my son in less than a minute. My mother was supposed to watch him while I went to work and my fiance had to run some errands. We had just kissed him on his forehead and left him sleeping on my mom's bed. She had watched him several times before. She walked us to the kitchen and went right back to her room. In literally less than a minute since we had seen him, my mother came screaming out of the house holding Jose. In a matter of less than one minute,Chance attacked him. I am begging you to please please please please take all precautions when it comes to babies and dogs. It doesn't matter how sweet or loving your dog is. Or how small. A small dog like a chihuahua or shitzu can even kill because all they have to do is get a hold of an infant's neck and that's it. I don't want anybody else to go through what my family is experiencing. I just gave birth August 31st. I buried my son October 11th. I still love dogs and I'm sure I always will, but I don't trust them with babies at all. I'm not telling you to get rid of your dog. If anything, keep them outside. If you keep them inside then take all precautions. Don't leave them alone together for even a second. That's all it took for our son. And if this message scares then good. It's a matter that you need to be aware of and it's really serious. Don't lose your baby like I did.

posted 10/30/2004 by Jennifer Woodjinski

devil's advocate
toobeezy

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »

wow! thats a mouthful to read. Then again this is an argueable topic but at the end of the day it is up to the owners on how they bring up the dog just like how a parent brings up their child.
toobeezy

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »

and i would like to add.. The statistical facts are based on US and not Singapore. It is very unfair to make such comparison. Its like comparing an ant to an elephant.
I might be wrong in stating this but westerners strongly believe in animal rights. So the method of training the dogs are different. Im not saying that we are more abusive to our pets but look at it this way. Put a westerner and an asian side by side, and ask yourself who is more willing to raise their hands in spanking their child if he/she does something wrong? Sparing the rod and spoiling the child? I dont think so. Likewise, if your pet did something wrong, what would your initial reaction be? Am I right to say you would spank your pet at the buttock or hold it by the muzzle? And ask a westerner the same question and see what is thier reaction. Philosophies and ideologies are different to base a statistical fact, so make sure it is of relevent country or region perhaps. As far as I know, most asian owners i know and observed are very firm with their pet dogs when it comes to obidience. Of course there are minority who would rather use thier "mouth power". But at the end of the day, it boils down to you and your pet. How a pet behave reflects on the owner so we should ponder on that.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: