Punggol.sg Punggol.sg
Punggol.sg Forum Terms of Service
Punggol Surroundings Punggol Topaz Historical Background Submitted Articles Articles - Child Care Centre Birds in My Backyard - Punggol 21
Notice: Crime Prevention Punggol Bus Guide Punggol LRT Guide BBQ Pit Booking
 Completed Project  Project In Progress
 Condominium  Others
Enrichment Programme Essential Telephone Numbers Infant/Child Care Services Kindergarten Primary/Secondary Schools Healthcare Establishments RCs, Fire Post Shopping Mall in/near Punggol Fashion and Accessories Food Country Clubs Camps Places Of Worship Others
September 28, 2024, 09:35:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Terms of Service

Home   Photos Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess who gets the jobs in singapore  (Read 14948 times)
eagle

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »

The word here is reduce and not replace, reduce some foreign workers and replace them with local doesn't reduce competitiveness, but instead will bring up the standard, but of course this will come at a slightly higher price which I think the government should spearhead in order to give a signal to those MNC company to follow.

Also Did anyone notice, since we engage foreign workers, our HDB quality drop, the surfacing of road also not even, I even witness the painting of those green metal railings, although I have no comment on the work of the paint, but what left me angry is the amount of droplets of paint left on the floor, i also witness a HDB block in Hougang area, the painter did not paint or forgot to paint one portion of the "rooftop" of the block. But this also brings out another question, did the government supervise and check on those work done by contractors?? From what i see, NO, and the standard had drop.

Advertisement

tom

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 01:44:32 AM »

This is the reason why we classify them as FOREIGN workers. Their main purpose is to come here to earn a living and remit money back to their homeland. So they won't put their soul and heart into the job. As long as they can complete a job, get their pay, that's MISSION COMPLETE. Shocked

Our own workers are different. They are Singaporeans, went through proper training, formed Quality Control Circles and have proper assessments for promotions and pay increases. At least chances are there. FOREIGN workers ??  oops probably not so lucky. So what happen ? They slacked eventually. Who suffers ?? Of course Singaporeans.
Lyregi

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:38 AM »

my take is that majority of singaporeans are unwilling to take up dirty jobs which the foreigners are filling, which means that the conditions of living may just deteriorate if we were to reduce the number of these workers here since no replacements can be found for these jobs.

as for the industries which requires skilled workers, i believe that reducing the number of foreigners holding these jobs is possible, nevertheless, we will need to look specifically at the industries concern.

from my observation, service staff (waiters and waitresses) from foreign countries are usually earning their take part time here. most likely, they are students by day or something like that. we should not fault them on working here since they definitely need some form of supplements to their wallets as living cost here is high..(barring those "illegally" employed)
Alaska

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 04:28:33 AM »

Seems Immigration Dept has changed their policies.

Unskilled Indonesian workers are only given work permit for domestic helpers.
Unskilled Phillipinos workers are given work permit in hospital & domestic helpers.
Unskilled Malaysian workers are given work permit in factory production sectors.
Unskilled Indian/Bangladesh are given work permit in construction sectors.

Now leh...
Why work permits are given to PRCs as Cashiers in GIANT? They only speak mandarin, how to serve the Malays, Indians amd Eurasians?
Even I talk in mandarin, they have to ask me to repeat 3X.
PRCs are given work permits in construction sectors as well.
PRCs are given work permits in hospital sectors.
PRCs are given work permits in service industries.

Must as well turn SIN to Medium Beijing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: